Monday, January 19, 2009

Simplicity Project #3

This week I share with you a project I usually tackle once a year. Although this year, with my new found disgust of clutter and excess I had the wisdom to go a few steps further.

Pictures!

Now I've always been over the top when it came to these paper memories but ever since the introduction of digital photography, I've gotten worse. It was one thing to take 6 rolls of 35mm film of our honeymoon but now . . . 6 years later . . . think of the thousands of photos we have of our family in just 8 months! And I'm not one of those people who takes the pictures and leaves them on the camera or even on the computer for that matter. No, I'm a frequent shopper at Shutterfly.com so the paper memories are piling up!

This year, I went completely crazy and got rid of hundreds of pictures. High school, college, people I haven't seen in years, whose names I can't even remember. Trash! All trash!

I keep my photos in a dresser in our sitting room. The dresser is a quirky antique with somewhat open drawers. So you can see if there is a lot of clutter in them. My goal with this project was to straighten the drawers and create more space for the thousands of photos I will be adding in the next few years.

Before

After (See the extra room? And what you can't see is that one of those photo boxes is actually empty!)

And the hundreds of photos I threw away! Good-bye boy I dated in 10th grade . . . I don't even remember your name!

This project was especially space-making because I said good-bye to many memories, leaving room in not only my drawer but also my heart for many more, even greater memories with my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inspirational, definitly. Getting rid of stuff...dishes, clothes, etc. is easy, getting rid of pictures is much harder. I almost feel guilty tossing a picture...thank you for giving me permission.
Terri